Do you have an old chandelier that’s in desperate need of a makeover? Well, I had one too! I wanted to buy a new one, but when I saw how much they cost I knew it wasn’t going to be in our budget. So I did what any good DIY’er would do. I got out my paint brush and made her all pretty again.
This post is sponsored by General Finishes Milk Paint. All opinions are 100% my own.
I’ve been working on the dining room for the last 6 weeks or so.
It’s slow going.
I’ve refinished the table and chairs which was a huge chore… and that’s the understatement of the year.
This is how my dining room started out.
It’s such a formal room.
And honestly, it’s just not my style.
I’ve had a hard time deciding what to do with it and so I’ve left it with the dark furniture, the dark rug, and the dark chandelier.
And this is what it looked like after the table makeover.
The lighter rug and table base really made a difference in the room, but I struggled with finding a budget friendly chandelier. Every chandelier I found that was the correct size for my space started at $500 and went up from there.
And all I could think was…
braces and college…
braces and college…
And all of my grand ideas for a fun new chandelier went out the window.
I actually liked the shape of our chandelier; however, I felt the oil rubbed bronze and silver finish was dated.
As you can see, it really wasn’t fitting into my new color scheme.
The oil rubbed bronze was getting lost in the sea of brown and the glass globes had a tendency of blending in with the wall color.
Being a thrifty, frugal, DIY’er that’s super handy with a paint brush, I decided I would paint this baby and live with it until we won the lottery.
I had the hubs take it down so it would be easier to clean and paint.
It’s a beauty, right?
Painting A Chandelier How To’s
I always degrease before I start painting so that my paint will have a better chance of adhering to surface.
I use Dawn dish washing liquid and water and then rinse well. You don’t want a soapy residue left on the surface because it can show through the paint.
I used the same General Finishes Antique White Milk Paint that I had used on my table so that it would match.
I used a foam brush to paint the majority of the chandelier and then a craft brush to get into the tight places. I would strongly suggest using a spray primer to cut down on the number of coats of paint it will take.
Since I didn’t have any spray primer, I hopped right into painting the base coat. Big mistake. It took 2 good coats, plus touch ups here and there in order for it to be completely covered. And the painting was very slow going!
The good news is General Finishes milk paint adhered to the chandelier like a champ.
After getting the second coat and touch ups completed, I dry brushed Sherwin Williams Intellectual Gray (similar to Annie Sloan’s French Linen) onto the detailed areas.
The Intellectual Gray was dry brushed on in a vertical direction and then I dry brushed antique white on top of that in a horizontal direction in order to break up some of those gray lines. This created an aged concrete appearance and it looked more authentic than the original dry brushing.
Finally, I distressed the chandelier so that it had a little more character.
I made a No Sew Burlap Cord Cover this morning (look for a post on this soon) and she was ready to be hung back up when Stew got home.
A little distressing to show off the details.
A new burlap chain cover added a touch of elegance.
And here’s the final look with the newly refinished dining room table and chairs.
And a look from above.
Overall, painting the chandelier wasn’t fun but there’s a lot of things in life that aren’t fun. And I since I love how it turned out, I would paint another chandelier in a heart beat. It’s a budget friendly way to update the look of room and it saved me $500-1,000 since I didn’t buy a new one!
You may also enjoy:
Pin and Save for later!
Linking with: That Sweet Tea Life